Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Softball Season

When we first moved here I didn't have a lot of friends, (who am I kindding, I didn't have any) but was confident that if I got myself involved in EVERYTHING, I'd make friends. Well, one of my endeavors was joining a softball team. No big deal...right? Except for one thing. I hadn't ever really, seriously, swung a bat or threw a ball. But hey, I'm athletic, a fast learner, this should be no problem. Well last night was the first game of my 4th season. I was a little wrong on the no big deal part. I actually suck pretty bad, but I have met a lot of awesome people, and even though I get so nervous before a game that I almost throw up, I have a blast every time. Last night was a little different. See, there was a little drama when signing rosters for a team this year. In the past I have played for Harleys Place team. Harleys has a really good age range of people playing and it's a really fun group of women. So this year, Kelsey, who also plays for Harleys calls and says "Are you going to play ball this year." I say, "Yes, put me on the roster." A few nights later Brandy calls and says, "Why did you sign Kelsy's roster?" I say, "Because I've always played for Harleys." She said, "Well we split this year, we are having the young Harleys team and the Old Pro Harleys team." So now, not only do I want to throw up because of nerves, but I just got classified as part of the "Old Pro" team. What the ___? Anyway, I found out that Kelsey's team had a lot of really young girls playing and the other team had older girls playing. So in my infinite wisdom, I decided it would be better to be the youngest on the "old pro" team than the oldest on the young team. So I switched teams before we even had a practice. Kelsey in the meantime filled my spot. Then the old pro team couldn't get enough players and so...no team. At first I was disappointed, but then I got kind of excited about not having to commit to games every week. I was all set to enjoy the summer with as few commitments as possible when Marina from the Vets Club team calls last week and says they really need me. (Hah! They've never seen me play. They are banking on the fact that I'm generally an athletic person. Big mistake!) So, long story short, I agree to play for Vets Club and we had our first game last night. I signed so late that I never made it to a practice and felt even more nauseous than usual. Oh well, I had a blast. My catching skills weren't bad. I actually got 2 outs (but I kinda jacked my knee in the process, I guess I do belong on the "old pro" team.) Batting needs some serious work, but who cares. I don't mind being the bottom of the order. I just have fun getting out there. Maybe someday I'll even get brave enough to have Ryan take some pictures. Or maybe not.

1 comment:

Jolie said...

Nicole! That is hilarious! You definetly need to put some pictures on. I think you are so brave for ever signing up in the first place! Go girl! I'd be way too chicken! P.S. We need to find out what other cousins have blogs. This is such a great way to keep in touch! Love, Jolie