Saturday, June 28, 2008

5k



Those of you who know me well, know that I'm pretty active. Always up doing something fun. I don't last long in front of a TV and if there's music on, there's no stopping me. Funny thing is, I hate to run. It's not just something I don't enjoy...I literally HATE it. My friend Angela also hates to run and so, ambitious as we are, we decided to sign up for a 5k. You know, just to shake things up a little. We began our "training" 6 weeks ago. At first it about killed us to run 2 minutes, but after about 2 weeks I was running 3 miles. I decided my goal was to complete my run in 30 minutes. I realize that doesn't sound that ambitious to the seasoned runner, but trust me, that would be quite the feat for a hater like me. Then I hurt my knee in softball and the running had to stop for 2 weeks. Once I had the OK to start running again, I had to start from scratch and I only had 2 weeks till race day. Well, today was race day. Woke up to the beautiful sounds of 40 mile per hour winds and rain. Nice, but there was no turning back. With the wind like it was, Angela and I decided it would be amazing if we made it in 40 minutes, but the real goal was just to run the whole thing. No stopping, no walking. Anyway, it's all over now. My time was 29.22 which I was ecstatic about and as much as I say I hate it, I think I'll do it again next year!

2 comments:

jen&boys said...

Congrats! I won't tell you my time on the 5K I ran last year... That whole "training" thing might just have something to it... not just waking up and going that day!

wishesUT said...

Way to go Nicole! I hate running too, so maybe I should sign up for something like that just to get me to get up and move. My feet hurt just thinking about it!