
Well, as dissapointed as I am, it looks like Marlene didn't win. Aunt Marlene, you will always be my president! Anyway, there were some funny comments at dance on Monday. The kids got to vote at school, and a lot of discussion about candidates had taken place. Some of the young ones may have some of their issues confused, or maybe just radical outspoken parents but here is one story. First of all, for a long time, Rylee was all for Obama. She didn't care about any of the issues, just that it would be cool to be around for the first black president. She felt like a part of history. Then one day she is reading the news paper and I notice she has crossed off Obama and written "bad" and circled McCain and written "good". I asked her about this and she said that she would never vote for Obama because he will kill you if you want to have a baby. Well, digging into this a little deeper I realized that she and some friends had been talking about abortion and had their facts a little confused. So we talked, I told her what abortion is and after a little thought, she decided she is voting for McCain. A little girl at dance asked me who I was going to vote for and I told her I was undecided (I don't think dance is the place to try to influence the young minds about political issues.) Anyway, she said she will cry if Obama is elected because they will lose their house because her dad won't be able to afford the taxes. So I laughed about this all evening. Kids are so funny. Right? Then I got kind of upset. How worried is that poor little girl today? Kids are so litteral, and this poor little 1st grader thinks she will be living in a box by the end of the week because Obama was elected. Just one more moment that makes me realize how easily we can screw up our kids!
1 comment:
Those are the exact same comments and fears the kids in my carpool had! It's crazy what they pick up on and how kids interpret things!
Post a Comment