Tuesday, January 22, 2008

New Years Resolution Season

Yes, it's that time of year again, when we in the health and fitness industry see an influx of new or returning clients determined to make this the year they will change their weight, body fat %, health, attitude...life. It is so crazy busy at my little gym that I rarely have time to go the the bathroom let alone eat. I've taken to bringing prepared snacks and meals that I can eat while I work with clients (cut fruit or veggi's, fiber bars, sandwiches or wraps). Those who know me well know that if I don't eat something every couple of hours, I turn into a raging, hypoglycemic, witch! This yearly surge of business got me thinking about all the misconceptions people have about weight loss or fitness in general. So here are some of the top fitness mistakes and misconceptions that I have dealt with in the last couple of weeks.




  • Target weight loss. i.e. I need to lose 15 pounds in my stomach (or butt, or thighs, or arms, or boobs. Yes, I seriously heard "boobs" today.) Unfortunately, we don't get to pick where the weight comes from. You cannot go to the gym and do 500 sit-ups and nothing else and expect to have a Victoria's Secret model stomach. Just doesn't work that way. No matter how many sit-ups, or lunges, or squats a person does, if you don't reduce the body fat, you will never see the lean and sculpted muscles you have developed. Case in point...myself! If you were to push on my stomach, you would first feel a layer of soft, gushy skin and fat. But underneath that I have abs of steal. I do so much core work that I seriously have super strong abdominal muscles. But I eat too much and so I will not be sporting a 6 pack to the pool anytime soon.

  • Exercise alone will get you the body you dream of. Seriously, you cannot eat brownies and ice cream 3 times a day and then jog for 1/2 an hour and expect to see weight loss. You have to eat healthy foods. Foods that give you energy. Foods that build muscle. And you have to eat in moderation. Weight loss is about calories in-calories out. If you burn more than you consume, you will loose weight. That being said, you still have to eat. If you don't eat, you will not have the energy to get through your day, let alone your workout. Just make sure you have a well balanced diet, and you eat everything in moderation.

  • Cardio exercise is not the cure all. Strength training is essential. Building muscle brings plenty of benefits, including: increasing endurance and flexibility, protecting your joints (reducing your injury risk), increasing bone mass (which helps prevent fractures and degeneration from osteoporosis), increasing your energy level, and boosting your metabolism. Research shows those who followed a strength training program for two months burned, on average, about 200 calories more per workout than those whose exercise regimen did not include strength training. The benefits of strength training even continue when you're at rest. Your metabolism stays raised even if you are inactive. Strength training doesn't have to mean hitting the weights with the "meat heads" and seeing who can lift the most weight. You don't have to be grunting and groaning and ripping muscles to pieces. Take a Pilates or Power Yoga class. Try some kickboxing. Do some old fashion push-ups, crunches, lunges, pull-ups. There are many ways to build muscle.

  • This is one I hear a lot. "I want my legs to look like Jessica Simpson." or whoever. Or "I heard that Fergie walks at an 8 incline for 1/2 hour a day and that's all the exercise she does." Give me a break. First, don't believe everything you read. Second, none of us will ever have legs like Jessica Simpson, simply because we are not Jessica Simpson. We are all built differently. Proportions are different on ever single body. There are things we can all do to look the best we can with what we were given, but quit this stupid fascination with looking like some crazed image of perfect.

  • Here's another one I hear lately. First let me say that it is vacation season in North Dakota. It's so cold, so everyone plans these beach vacations for Feb. or March. So come January, the decide to hit the gym to get ready to wear a swim suit. They will honestly walk in and say "Nicole, I need to lose 40 lbs. by Feb. 20." What! This is not the Biggest Loser people! In real life we are not working out for 8 hours a day and letting someone control every bite of food that enters our mouths. It's is not healthy and weight will not stay off (if you are even able to lose it that quickly) when lost at that rate. Change your lifestyle. Don't expect miracles. Be realistic. 2-3 lbs a week is a great rate to lose weight. I you have an occasion you want to lose a few pounds for, don't wait till 1 month before. I'm getting swimsuit ready for June in October. Overnight transformations just don't happen naturally.


Basically I believe in Balance. In all things. Mind, Body and Spirit must all work together to achieve maximum success. Educate your mind, use your body, and nourish your spirit. If we are out of balance in anything, the ripples effect Everything.

Thank your for letting me rant and rave. I could go on and on with the crazy things people say, but it's time to eat! Don't want my family to pay if I don't feed my stomach!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Nicole- You seriously need to start a new blog dedicated entirely to living healthy body, mind, spirit. I am so serious! I love the advice/quotes/encouragement you give. It really does motivate me to be healthier. Think about it...