Friday, January 11, 2008

Getting Sidetracked




It's amazing how quickly I get sidetracked. Right now for instance, I came to the computer to look up some information about Rocks for our Girl Scout meeting tomorrow. Reading about rocks reminded me of my dear friend Treasure. Treasure is a friend I can have the deepest, most off the wall conversations with. Several year ago, Treasure and I (and several other friends) were at Lake Powell on a mini-vacation. We were all goofing around on a beach and Treaz and I decided to swim across the channel and see what the other beach looked like. So we sit across the channel from all our friends and have at least a 45 minute discussion about rocks. We were sitting with our legs in the water, picking up chunks of sand and rock, discussing which came first...sand or rock. Did the rocks erode and make the sand? Or did the dirt petrify and make the rock? When god created the world, did it start as sand and then harden into rock, or the other way around? Or maybe some of both. Well, we never came to a conclusion, but the discussion took us on some very interesting religious twists and turns. So today as I read about rocks, I think about Treasure...and what a Rock she has always been in my life. Right now I thank God that he made her such an amazing person. So strong...there is no way this crazy world will ever erode her strength, her character, her love, or her faith. She is an exemplary woman and I am so blessed to call her my friend. Now getting back to rocks...Treaz, here's the best answer I could get.
Grains of sand are really very tiny particles of rock. It takes time and certain kinds of weather to turn rock into sand. Rain, frost, and wind can do the job. At beaches, the tide hitting against the rocks forms sand. Salt water, too, forms sand by dissolving minerals in the rocks. http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/where-does-sand-come-from
P.S. The picture above is of Treasure on the afore mentioned Lake Powell trip. She's so cute!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nicole you give me way too much credit. It is easy to seem like a rock when you have a strong base like awesome friends!!