When you call my friend Carla, you don't hear ringing. You hear the song "Don't Worry Be Happy". If she doesn't answer, her voice mail message says, "I'm at my Happy Place. I'll call you when I get back." For some reason, that message got me thinking today. Where is my "Happy Place?" I decided that I don't have a "Happy Place". I have many happy places! Here are 10 favorites...in no particular order:
- Snuggling with my girls. Sometimes on Sunday's, the girls and I lay on my bed, read a few chapters of a book and then take a nap. I love it. I have to trick them into the nap part, but once they are asleep, the house is quite and I just stare at their beautiful faces and I know I'm in the happiest place.
- Lake Powell. As far back as my memory goes, this is one of my most happiest places. The majesty of the canyons, the heat penetrating to your bones, the smell of the boats, and so many wonderful memories with my family and friends. A sandwich never tastes as good as it does at Lake Powell. You never feel more comfortable in a bathing suit as you do at Lake Powell. And I am never more in awe of Gods creations as I am at Lake Powell.
- My dads kitchen, early in the morning. Everyone else is still asleep. Dads making me some french toast (or Papa Toast as my kids call it) and we are just talking. We talk about important things and trivial things. Some book he or I have read that we think the other would enjoy or learn something from. Whats going on in my life, my brothers lives, my friends lives, his life, his friends lives etc. We analyze peoples relationships and decisions. We think so much alike and its such a great place to be.
- On my mom's back porch. Feet are up warming by her awesome fire pit. The kids are playing on the swings or chasing Papa Brick and my mom and I are just relaxing. I love to watch my mom watch my girls. I have the most amazing mom, and when she is watching and listening to my girls my heart just swells. They bring her so much joy and I'm so lucky that she is such a great Grandma.
- In my husbands arms. It's so nice to know that at the end of the day, after I have nagged, and burped, and farted, and stuck my freezing hands on his warm stomach (seriously, that one never gets old) he still loves me. Despite the gray hairs, the wrinkles that just keep cropping up, the cellulite that develops no matter how many aerobics classes I teach, he still loves me.
- Brownies. Still hot. Dripping and melting their way down your throat.
- A hot bath and a good book. As I've stated in previous posts, that's one happy place I can gladly spend hours in.
- Dance performances. The girls are giddy and nervous. I'm sweaty and nervous. They have worked so hard. I have worked so hard. They pull off an amazing performance and are so proud of themselves. The look of satisfaction on their faces after a job well done. That's a good place.
- In the mountains. Oh how I miss the mountains. It's so beautiful here. The endless fields of wheat, flax, sunflower. The sweeping view of miles and miles of gorgeous farmland that you can see from just the slightest rise in the earth...but oh how I miss the mountains. I miss the clean smell of pine trees. The sound of water rushing down a steep slope. The thin, clean air assaulting your lungs. The sharp contrast from mountain to valley. Salt Lake City is set in the most beautiful country on earth.
- On the water. I love water. Whether it's canoeing, boating, swimming, splashing or soaking, I just love the water. I feel so at peace watching the ocean waves crash into the sand, or watching the sun set from our boat. I just love water. It's also my favorite drink!
No comments:
Post a Comment