OK, so next day, we woke up feeling rather dirty (or gross as Amber would say)
Feeling clean at last,
On the evening of August 17th, 1959, the area just west of Yellowstone National Park experienced an earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale. At the time it was the strongest earthquake recorded in the United States. It killed twenty-eight people; many were buried beneath the 80 million tons of dirt and rock that crashed down on a sleeping campground, others drowned when the Madison River, displaced by the slide, engulfed their tents. My Great Grandparents, my Grandpa and my uncle left that campground the morning of August 17th. The quake happened around 11:00 that night.
The story of this earthquake, the resulting Earthquake Lake, and the unbelievable sight of the mountain cut in half have facinated me sinse I was a small child. Grandpa's cabin was minutes away, and we drove the road around Quake Lake countless times. I remember staring out the window at the massive rockslide and the lake strewn with trees and trying to imagine being in that campground the night of the quake. I was excited to take my kids there and take some pictures to share with my cousin, JL, whome I hike to the top of Slide Mountain with.
Next stop was Idaho Falls and lunch with Grandpa Weezie. Missy, Kaycie and Lola, and Amanda joined us. Then we went back to Grandma's and watched old video's of me, Andrew, Skyler and Tyler singing songs and being interviewed by Grandpa. Good times!
Finally, we headed out for SLC. Home sweet home!
2 comments:
The cabin makes me think of your cabin and when your bike stalled on suicide hill. Remember how dirty we were? I will have to post that picture. I am so sad we never got together!
Yes! Post that picture. Suicide hill. Good times!
Post a Comment