Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Yellowstone Day 2

Saturday morning, I was up bright and early (as usual). I enjoyed some alone time for about half an hour before all the kids got up and joined me. The adults were still sleeping, so the kids and I headed out for a walk. Anna and I had bought them each a sling-shot the day before, and it was a good time to shoot rocks into the river.
Have I mentioned how much I love the Madison River? Well, it's true. I love the Madison River. Growing up, we spent a lot of time wading, swimming, and hiking around the Madison River and there is just something about being near it again that filled me with peace and joy.
Anyway, we messed around in the river for about an hour, then headed back to camp to wake up the rest of the adults. The kids had a good time pretending to be bears and roaring and clawing at Missy and Dustin's tent to wake them up. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I head Dustin scream like a girl.
After breakfast, Debo braided my hair and then we hit the river again. This time in bathing suits and floaties.
Andrew and Brooklyn did a little fishing, and Brooklyn even caught one. It was the worlds smallest fish ever caught, but exciting anyway!
Soon, we decided it was time to head back into the park. We bid farewell to Missy, Dustin, Kaycie, and Lola ("Your the meanest Mom ever!" Kaycie said!) because Missy had to work, and then headed in to Old Faithful.
Anna and I did our best to explain what a geyser was, but I'm pretty sure our scientific knowledge left many questions in the kids mind. Needless to say, they were curious to see what the heck this Old Faithful thing was. We spent a good hour in the Old Faithful General store and then headed out to the observation deck for the show.
We waited.
And we waited.
And we waited a little more.
And then finally....
That's right, Old Faithful was as faithful as always.
When all was said and done, Isaiah says "We waited all that time for that?" Apparently, he wasn't too impressed! I love the honesty of that kid. He's just like his mama!
The Old Faithful show done and overwith, we decided it was time for some food. We drove to the nearest picknic spot and had ourselves a feast. Debo and her planning, she had everything, including a table cloth!
After our bellies were full, we decided the next stop was the Paited Pots. Again, we tried to describe the scientific phenomonom of the minerals, and sulfer and what not, but nothing I could say can describe the beauty that is Yellowstone.

1 comment:

Jenn and Brandon said...

I still can't believe we were both in Yellowstone that day and didn't meet up. I'll try to plan better next time...and there will be next time!