Friday, September 11, 2009

Again...no pictures...

Last night was a thunderstorm. Not the usual few flashes of lightning and a little rolling rumble, but the full on strobe light action with continual booming claps that only seem to happen in the Great Plains. At least, I never saw or heard anything like these storms while living in the protected nests of the Rocky Mountains. I love thunderstorms, but last nights storm was the kind that sends little bare feet running up the hardwood hall with a final terrified leap from doorway to moms bed. The kind of storm where the kids snuggle in, shaking and terrified. And unfortunately for them, I'm the kind of mom who laughs at their nerves!
I love storms. Especially long drawn out storms like last nights. The lightning so continuous it almost looks daylight, and the thunder a continuous, deep rumble punctuated with a few ferocious claps. The kids made me shut the windows, but I sat up enjoying the show long after they had relaxed and fallen back to sleep.
Before she had fallen back to sleep, Rylee did ask me who turns on the tornado siren in the middle of the night. Wow. I never even thought to think of who it might be! I just trust in the nuts and bolts of my little community to take care of that without ever a second thought. I answered her with an unsure "The police?" But it is a good question.
Speaking of Rylee questions, she is full of them lately. Today's was "What do lice eat?"
"Lice? Like bugs in your hair lice?" I asked.
"Yes, lice."
Another good question. Guess I'll have to Google that.
~ Update ~
Lice eat tiny amounts of blood (much less than a mosquito does) for their nourishment.

1 comment:

**the muirs** said...

I too LOVE storms! I wish I would have been there. I haven't seen a good storm (well enough to satisfy me) for AGES!