The girls were unable to start school at their new schools yesterday because the paperwork from Carrington School had not arrived. So we spent the day riding bike around town, getting library cards, and watching movies. We didn't unpack a single box. Just decided to spend the day messing around before the big day at new schools.
Both girls were very nervous, but especially Brooklyn. In Carrington, 6th grade was still in the Elementary School, but here, it's in the Middle School. That means lockers, and switching classes 8 times! So today, her 12th birthday, she began middle school.
We checked in with the office and got a copy of her schedule, and her locker combo, and headed up the stairs to the Middle School section to find our way around. We got there early so we would have plenty of time to figure it all out. As we were unlocking her locker, a cute little girl (I say little, but at 12, they aren't so little anymore) asks Brooklyn if she is a new student and quickly helps her decorate her locker. Then she studies Brooklyn's schedule to see what classes they will have together. She gathers about 10 other 6th graders and they each figure out what class they have with Brooklyn and make plans to meet her at her locker to show her the way.
What a weight off my chest! I've had these horrible visions from the movie "Mean Girls" of my baby eating lunch alone in the bathroom! But, so far, it seems she has some very friendly classmates, excited to show her around.
Next we headed to the Elementary school to meet Rylee's teacher and get her settled in. We found her desk and her teacher handed her all her new books and then the bell rang, and in came a huge class of kids yelling "Is that Rylee?" Rylee, being who she is, refused to look anyone in the eye and didn't say a word, but I know my child, she just needs a minute to assess the situation and then she'll be ready to jump in.
So that was that. They are at school, and I am home alone in a town I don't know! Weird, but good.
Tonight we plan to have cake and open a couple presents, but the real present from Mom and Dad will be bought in Bismarck in a couple weeks. She wants new Rollerblades, and she wants to pick them out herself. She really is her mothers child!

The girls took this picture of themselves with my phone in the car this morning. I'll share more pictures later!
6 comments:
I'm glad it went so well! Happy Birthdy Brookie bear! xoxoxox
Happy Birthday Brooklyn! We knew you guys wouldn't have any problem finding new friends. They'll be running their new schools soon enough! <3
Happy Birthday Brooklyn! Wish we could be there on your birthday!
Hope the girls had a wonderful first day!!
Happy birthday Brooklyln!!
We miss you all!!
Love ya!!
Tina and boys!
I am so glad to hear that both of the girls had a warm welcome to their new schools. Happy Birthday Brooklyn!
Miss you guys.
wow. I can't believe she's 12!! I still remember when she was born. Crazy!
Post a Comment