
Officially, today is the first day of spring, though signs of it are few and far between up here in the northern wastelands! But, we are very excited about those few signs. First 5 signs of spring in North Dakota:
5) I can see the pavement. Wow...I know. Exciting. But there has been so much snow pack that we haven't seen the pavement since Nov. 7th. Yes, I'm keeping track. So, driving on roads that are not ice and snow packed is a treat! Never mind that there is still a good 3 feet of snow in my front yard. :)
4) Melting! Melting! Melting! While all this crazy snow melt means worrying about water in the basement, flood warnings, and leaky roof at work...it still means it is warming up above the freezing point.
3) Car wash! Poor old Alice has been in desperate need of a bath, but I couldn't risk getting frozen inside. It was warm enough yesterday for a car wash. She's now so pretty and clean!
2) Birds chirping! I swear I heard some. I even saw a bird. I had forgotten what they sound like.
1) A fly. Only in North Dakota do we cheer at the sight of a bug, but it happened...I swear. It was toward the end of one of my aerobics classes. We were laying on the floor finishing up dome ab exercises when we noticed a fly buzzing around the light. Seriously, the whole room cheered! IT'S WARM ENOUGH FOR BUGS!!! Soon we will complain about the bugs, but for now we'll take any signs of warmth we can get.
P.S. That picture was not taken in ND. It's not that springy yet!!!
2 comments:
The North Dakota fly - seemingly dead last Nov on the window sill and revived for spring....the stripy flies are the worst!!
I saw a spider in my house today and thought the same thing! I didn't cheer as I smooshed him but I did think it was a good sign. You are a good sport living up North. This winter was pretty mild but I complained the whole time. Mike even bought me those funny light therapy lights because I was so grumpy. Yo really need to come visit!
Post a Comment