Yesterday was the long awaited United We Dance competition in Jamestown. I took 2 groups of dancers. Mini Kix (4th and 5th grade...Brooklyn included) and Middle Kix (6th and 7th grade). We have been preparing for this event since September. We talk about things the judges look for and what to improve on every week at practice. Every performances we tell the girls to dance like they would at competition, and they always do well. But somehow, the excitement and adrenaline rush of actually competing against other dance teams brings out the very best. Both groups danced like I have never seen them dance. Smiles were on 1000 watts, kicks were nearly to their face, arms were sharp, turns were perfect jumps were high...they were incredible. Mini Kix were first and about 1/2 way through their routine I looked at Lauren (my assistant) and said, "We got it!" I hadn't seen most of the other teams dance, but the way these girls were dancing was a very minimum of 3rd place quality. Well, turns out I was right. We got 2nd place. The kids are so funny. We sit in a circle and hold hands during awards and they are so nervous they are almost crying. One girl looks at the girl next to her and says, in a completely serious tone, "The only thing we can do now is pray to God." So...all heads are bowed. They announce 3rd place and we all clap, then when the call Carrington as 2nd place the girls were jumping and screaming like they had just won the Super Bowl. I was even more proud when they called Bismark North as 1st place because every one of my girls stood up and cheered just as loud for them as they had cheered for themselves. What a great group of kids.
We had enough time to break for lunch before the Middle Kix turn to compete. It was like deja vu. They were amazing, only this time, we got 1st. I proudly watch all girls from both my teams sincerely congratulate every team they saw. That was better than 1st or 2nd place any day.
So, I really want to show some pictures of this, but as the coach, I just don't have time to take any. Several parents promised they would e-mail me pictures they took, so I'll post those when I get them. In the mean time, Ryan did attempt a few pictures when it was Brooklyn's group dancing. Some of them turned out awesome...others...not so much. Here's what I have:
I love this picture. Look how nervous they are!
This is before we danced, watching what we're competing against.
Walking on.
I threatened to tell the nerdiest boys in school that they are in love with them if they don't smile from the moment the step on the floor, till the moment the leave. Nice smiles girls!
Dancing!
Here they are "praying to God" while we await the announcements.
Second Place! Look at that excitement!
Please keep in mind that Lauren and I have both been sick all week.
I think we are normally much cuter that this picture reveals! :)
3 comments:
Way to go GIRLS! That is so awesome! Nothing feels better than getting done with something you've worked so hard for and knowing that you did GREAT! Congradulations!
Wahoo! way to go ladies! What great dancers, and what great sports. COngrats to the whole team!
Nice work, Nicole! I think the coach definitely deserves some props.
Post a Comment