Monday, March 10, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad





-- Anne Geddes




Happy Birthday to the best dad in the whole world! I have been thinking all day of all the wonderful things I want to say about you, but words just aren't enough. I can't center on one thought, you are just too amazing!

I Love You!

So, here are some of the things I have been thinking about. One of my earliest memories is in your old blue truck. It smells like carpet and coffee. The radio is on and you are singing your heart out to the song 'Elvira'. I was in awe. I thought you were the best singer in the whole world. Lucky for me, I have since learned to appreciate better music, but I will never forget that feeling sitting in the old blue truck. Anytime I smell new carpet I think of my dad.


I remember you doing your best to fix my hair when mom was working or away. I remember you teaching me to "visualize" myself scoring a goal in soccer. (I use that with my dancers...I think it worked this weekend!) I remember you sticking up for me when I wanted to read in the bath for hours and it drove mom crazy. I remember you sitting in the stands at countless soccer games and dancer performances. I remember one dancer competition in Heber and going out to lunch with you. I remember when I told you I was pregnant with Brooklyn. That is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do and you didn't say anything. You just pulled me into your lap and rocked me until I stopped sobbing. After I was quiet for awhile the first thing you said was, "Wow...I'm going to be a grandpa." I remember during my pregnancy, you made sure amidst all my stress and grieving, that I ate well and took care of my body...and your grandchild. After she was born, you fed us, and bought diapers, cloths, food, etc. You took sick days from work when I was short on babysitters. You let me miss my rent payments when things were really tough. You paid me to clean your house so that I could have a little extra $$ in my pocket. And now you make your granddaughters feel like the most special people in the world. They love your papa toast and ice cream. Sleeping in you soft bed and playing with your cat. Birthday parties in your swimming pool and eating apricots off your tree. And the trip to Hawaii will always be a fabulous memory.


All this stuff are just things. And while these things help to shape how much you mean to me, none of them ever really hits the nail on the head. You are everything a dad should be. You held me when I needed it and let me fall when that was best. You have talked me through some rough times in my life and kept your mouth shut when you didn't always agree with my choices. You know the importance of natural consequences. I just can't put into words how much you mean to me...so I'll just shut up now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow. How nice Nicole. I have a lot of respect for your dad too. He is an amazing man....with a great sense of humor. I can see what a great dad and grandpa he is.
Happy Birthday Dan!!

Chandra said...

Do you thing your dad want's another daughter? How about a fill in daughter when your getting on his nerves!!!

Anonymous said...

It's true. You made me cry. He really is an amazing human being and that is the reason I really wanted him to preform of ceremony. I have so much respect for your dad and his strength and beliefs. Love you Dan. - Debo