Sunday, March 2, 2008

Family Ski Day




We finally got our kids on ski's. As much as Ryan and I enjoyed this as kids, we've been pretty lazy about getting our kids out there. Well, maybe lazy isn't the correct term. I think fiscally challenged would describe things better. Also, we always thought that North Dakota was vertical drop challenged, but we have learned a thing or two in the last couple weeks.
The funny thing about Frost Fire Ski Area (located in Walhalla, ND, just a few miles from Canada) is that those aren't really hills. Nope, we are atop the flat land of North Dakota looking down a river valley. Because hills going up are few and far between out here, we opt for places where the ground has eroded to make a nice valley of hills to ski on.










Bailey - Brooklyn - Rylee - Logan - Amber









We went with a group of people, so the kids had several friends...and so did we. Above are our kids with the Pierce kids. Bailey and Brooklyn are in the same class, Rylee and Amber are in the same class, and Logan is always thrilled to be surrounded by girls.








































It was pretty obvious from the start the the kids have roots in Utah, home of "The Greatest Snow On Earth." They did awesome. Brooklyn and Bailey were comfortable enough by afternoon to take off with out parents. I was nervous about the lift, but they were totally cool. Rylee is a natural, but still a little timid. We skied arm in arm most of the day. As long as I was within reach she couldn't go fast enough. We got a good laugh watching Carla's daughter Aishlee fly down the hill her first time. No falls, in complete control, but faster than I think her mom would like to have seen. And Amber looked like she was born skiing. The kid sped gracefully down the hill with more style than I could muster, and I've been at it for over 20 years. I was afraid her teeth might freeze because she couldn't wipe the grin off her face no matter how hard the wind was whipping. We had a great day!







Mark and Faye












A classic spread eagle.





Anna and Wade.










Carla and Aishlee



Trying out the tubes. Rylee - Amber - Islin




Me and Ry


Wade - Anna - and Kids

2 comments:

**the muirs** said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! Judging by how rosey Rylee's face is it must have been really cold!

Nicole said...

Well, it was cold, but not too bad. Rylee was just blessed with the Muir complection. That's not a bad thing, it's just that it registers every temperature change and emotion!