
And it begins...again. If you have followed my blog for awhile now, you know that softball is not really my sport. To be quite frank, I suck. But year after year they call me and beg me to play. Well, maybe not beg, but they do ask, and who am I to disappoint them. Besides, without me on the team they wouldn't get much comic relief.
So, beings that June 1st was our first game, we decided to have a little practice...on May 31st! Yeah, not much time for practice. But we did throw the ball around and swing the bat a few times each, so we were feeling pretty good about ourselves. The next night we all had sore shoulders just in time for our first game.
Things started out OK, I refused to play catcher, and beings that I suck, that only leaves one other position for me. Right field baby! It's a rare occasion when a ball makes it all the way to right field, right? Yeah, not really my luck. First batter...pop fly to right field. I missed it of course, but I was feeling pretty good about how fast I picked it up off the ground. I ran a few steps, the ball in my right hand ready to be thrown, lifted the ball over my shoulder and threw as hard as I could to second base.
Problem? I dropped the ball behind my back. Yes, I'm serious. Not my proudest moment. Self esteem now in the gutter, I fumble on the ground behind me, find the ball and attempt to throw. This time it does leave my hand in the right direction, just several feet short of where I need it to go. Good thing the girls on my team are in this for fun and not for wins, because, I'm pretty sure I would have been benched after that performance.
Even with my embarrassing fumble, we managed to get 3 outs before they ran anyone home and then it was our turn to bat. I'm not sure what happened to my team over the summer, but we suddenly became professional hitters. Well, maybe not professional, but good enough to get on base and score a few runs. So first night out, we won one and lost one. Not bad I'd say. And I didn't fumble any more balls. Whew.
Next game was cancelled due to rain. I'll let you know about game 3 on Tuesday!
2 comments:
You are a good sport for trying. Your girls have a good example.
You know, when I first moved here I was asked to join a team. I'm pretty athletic and I'm sure they were thinking they scored a good player. Too bad I'm better with my feet than with my hands. I'm not bad at bat, but catching and throwing are not my specialty. We usually laugh so hard we cry at least once a game.
Post a Comment