Thursday, May 21, 2009

School's Out For Summer!

Once again, we have reached that bittersweet milestone of another school year come to an end. Sweet because I love summer. I love to have my kids at home. I love to forget about homework, and AR points and just read because we like it. Bitter because, well, it's another year gone, and these years are just slipping away way too fast. So tonight, as the kids lay tucked in for the last school night of the year, I want to write down a few things to remember about my 3rd and 5th graders before they become 4th and 6th graders.

First, a note to my firstborn about a few of the milestones and memories of being the parent of a 5th grader:

Well, Brookie, as you know, you are the first. And being the first comes with a lot of responsibilities. Not only do you have to forge the path of growing up in our household, but it is also your job to teach me what it means to be a Mom. And what a teacher you are. This year you grew up in many ways. Scholastically you went from being a struggling reader to reading all 7 Harry Potter books, all 4 Twilight books and countless other books along the way. Today you brought home an Outstanding Reader Award. I am so proud of you for working so hard on something that began as such a struggle. And I'm also so glad that we have such a wonderful thing in common. Our love of books gives us something to talk about when we don't seem to agree on much else. In math you went from struggling with Multiplication to being a long division wiz. The many hours I spent correcting your math work this year, only to have the teacher send it back because it was wrong has been a good lesson to us both on how important it is to work hard in school. I always let my math slide because it didn't come easy to me when everything else did, but you have worked so incredibly hard, and your excellent report card proves it.
Also this year your body has begun to change into that of a young woman. Emotions are often raw and we have had to purchase things such as training bra's and zit cream. Growing up is such a difficult process, and often it hurts, both physically and emotionally. While at times your temper has gotten the best of you, you continue to think of others before yourself and work hard to make sure your family is taken care of. Your little sister knows how to push all your anger buttons, and yet, you still show her love and kindness when she needs the love only a big sister can offer.
You have many wonderful friends, but most especially Bailey. I love to see your friendships grow as you grow. I have the most amazing support system of friends a woman could ask for, and I want that for you. Your friends truly are the family you weren't born with. Continue to work hard on being a good friend, and you will continue to see your friendships grow.
Boys have also entered the picture with a vengeance! You seem to be adamant about not having a boyfriend, but there are definitely some cute boys that have caught your eye. Both famous and not. We all love to watch Dad cringe when he answers the phone to a boy voice asking to talk to his baby girl. And the posters of all the cute famous Boys you like on your walls makes dad sick! I am proud of you for not having a boyfriend. For trying to understand when I tell you that you will have plenty of time for boyfriends after your 16th birthday.
You have tried out many sports this year. It was so much fun to watch you go from being the new kid in Basketball, to being a relied on part of your team. I watched you go from a skinny little stick figure, to a skinny girl with awesome muscles as you worked on your strength and conditioning all through basketball season. Dance continues to be a favorite, at least that's what you say. I hope you don't say that just because I love it. I want you to find your own hobbies, but if you love dance, well, I'm all for it! You also tried your hand at Volleyball and we found out that you have quite a serve. This year in your extracurricular activities you learned many lessons that will stick with you for your whole life. You learned about being a good sport, about the payoffs of hard work. You learned how to deal with teammates and coaches you didn't often agree with. You learned about setting goals and aligning your priorities. I have been a very proud mommy on the sidelines of all your activities.
Brooklyn, you are growing into a wonderful young woman. I look forward to all the experiences to come as I hold on tightly to the memories of my little girl.
Next is my wild second born:

Well my Rylee Jay. What can we say about you.
You are the laughter in our house. Your quick whit and dry sense of humor keep us all on our toes from morning till night. Occasionally your sarcasm can get your into trouble, especially with your moody big sister, but seeing the twinkle in your eye makes my days happy.
School has always come easy to you, and this year was more of the same. In the past we have never really studied spelling words or worried about your work, but Third Grade offered more challenges, and you have had to learn some study skills. Practicing your spelling words and studying for your Science and Social Studies tests has renewed my yearning for learning. (Hey, that rhymes!) I love the way you come up with things to help you remember the answers. You have jokes or rhymes for almost every question and it has certainly worked as you continue to get A's in most everything you do. Your teacher's only complaint is that you are way too quiet. I guess you must get all the noise out at home, because we certainly don't consider you too quiet!
You also continue to be our social butterfly. Each day after school the phone rings off the hook with one of your many friends wanting to play. Your best friends change with the seasons, but you seem to have a very strong group of very good friends: Amber, Aishlee, Hannah, Maddie, and Emerson to name a few. I sometimes worry that you don't think of others as often as you think of yourself, but then something happens to prove me wrong, and to prove what a selfless and loving little girl you are. You worried so much about Hannah when she was sick this year. You made her presents, wrote her letters, and visited her at the hospital and I was very proud of you for being such a great friend.
In our home you are the prankster. We can always count on you to be lurking around the corner ready to jump out and scare the next person to walk down the hall. Your laugh echoes threw the house all day long and it cracks me up. You tease your sister and your Dad ruthlessly, but are the first to stick up for either of them if they are teasing each other. And you are very protective of your Mommy. You always bring me a blanket, or a glass of water, or just check on me for no reason. I love your care and concern for your family.
So far the only boy to enter your thoughts is Rusty. He continues to be the light of your life. The first thing you ask me when I pick you up at school is "How was Rusty today?" You don't complain about feeding him, walking him, or picking up his poop. You love him, and all animals, and plan to be a Vet when you grow up.
You re growing like a weed, and it makes me so sad. You are supposed to be my baby, and I find myself buying you clothes that are too small, and then we have to return them for the correct size. You fit into most of your sisters clothes and love to wear her things (much to her chagrin). You also love to sleep in my shirts, which drives me crazy because they are never in the closet when I need them!
Rylee, have grown into an amazing young girl. The end of Third Grade makes me very sad because I know the young girl will soon be leaving me to become a young woman. I just want to hold onto your sweet innocence forever and ever, but it's not working. The tighter I hold on, the faster you seem to grow up.
Girls, I love you both more than words can say. Clear up to the sky and back and then some. I look forward to another wonderful summer together.

3 comments:

**the muirs** said...

Wow, I don't know if Brooklyn and Rylee understand just how lucky they are to have a mom like you! They will one day look back and appreciate everything you have done for them, and everything you have documented about their lives!

I love reading about it! Please keep it comin'!

Brett and Becca Muir said...

What sweet girls! they are such great kids and thats kuddos to such a great mom. I can't believe another school year is gone, and that just means they keep growing. I can't wait to see you guys we miss you in utah.

The Kimball Saga said...

Geez Flex, Can I get a "The following posting might make you cry" warning next time! That was so sweet. Your gorgeous girls with a wonderful mother! You have every reason in the world to be proud of them and yourself. Thanks for sharing! xoxo